Skydive Radio Forums
HomeHomeListener Discus...Listener Discus...Show Discussion...Show Discussion...Show #150, June 29th, 2011 - with Bryan Burke on canopy collisionsShow #150, June 29th, 2011 - with Bryan Burke on canopy collisions
Previous

Next
New Post
6/30/2011 1:45 PM

Mirage rescinds it's grounding of the Argus AAD.  Will other manufacturers follow suit?  Safety First with Brian Germain discusses going to your first boogie or large dropzone.  Pic of the Week - Andy Van Handel, Linda Haas, Ann Platte, and Tracy Cobb exit the Twin Otter over Skydive Chicago.  Photo by Russ Haas.  Bryan Burke of Skydive Arizona discusses canopy collisions and pattern safety.  Listener emails.

New Post
7/4/2011 12:03 PM

GREAT episode guys!!!

Bryan Burke gave a ton of info (as you guys always supply) on his segment.  I was wondering what the other SDR listeners thought of his "solution" on pattern safety and canopy flight.  Personally I think it is a great idea and more DZs should adopt that mentality.

Blue 1's,

Bob

New Post
7/7/2011 3:25 PM

I really enjoyed listening to Bryan Burke's piece on canopy collisions and found it particularly interesting that he laid the blame at the door of out-dated instructional techniques. I am talking about things like teaching s-turns in the pattern and always landing into the wind.

It seems to me that his ideas could form the basis of a canopy control instruction course for AFFIs. I know when I passed my AFF course I felt totally unprepared for unassisted canopy flight. How many sports or activities focus on the fun aspect over and above survival skills? That's what I am seeing in the AFF course.Does it really matter if someone can do a barrel roll in freefall if they can't land on the dropzone?

Parachute technology and canopy traffic has changed in the past decade or so and it's time we make adjustments to how we teach canopy control.

Like Bryan Burke said, "head-on-a-swivel" is not working any more.

Great show as always, guys!

DaVinci

Previous

Next
HomeHomeListener Discus...Listener Discus...Show Discussion...Show Discussion...Show #150, June 29th, 2011 - with Bryan Burke on canopy collisionsShow #150, June 29th, 2011 - with Bryan Burke on canopy collisions

Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  Copyright 2010 by Skydive Radio, All Rights Reserved